Monday, March 3, 2008

Power in Your Words- Part 4

I will conclude this teaching with this post. I am not finished with this topic but I need to move on. The more you dive into the word of God the more it opens new questions and studies.

In this post, I would like to look at a small potion of David's life starting in 1 Samuel 16:12-17:52. There is plenty going on in these verses but I want to concentrate on the "spoken" word.

David is anointed as king and the spirit of God comes upon him. The Spirit of the Lord also departs from Saul and a "distressing spirit" starts to hassle Saul about this same time.

Look at what Saul's servants say about this in 1 Samuel 16:15, 16:

And Saul's servants said to him, "Surely a distressing spirit from God is troubling you. (15) Let our master now command your servants, who are before you, to seek out a man who is a skillful player on the harp. And it shall be that he will play it with his own hand when the distressing spirit from God is upon you and you shall be well." (16) (Emphasis mine)

This is where I would say, "What?, get out of here with that nonsense." But not Saul, he must have had a better understanding of the power of the spoken word than I do, because in his response he says:

So Saul said to his servants, "Provide me now a man who can play well, and bring him to me." (17)

You can read on your own the rest of the story but one of Saul's servants tells him about David and how he is skillful in playing. The servant also talks about how David is a mighty man of valor and a man of war. David is still a kid! I do not know of any record of him fighting before he defeats Goliath.

I believe the servant said these words because God wanted those words spoken about David before he has to face the giant. This is an incredible example of the power of your spoken words over people in your life. (Think kids, spouse, family or friends)

David found favor before the king, and as Saul's servants had said, every time the troubling spirit came upon Saul, David would play and Saul would be refreshed and well and the spirit would depart.

The last point I want to make is David's battle with Goliath. Read what Goliath speaks to David. Read also David's response to Goliath's words. I am going to go out on a limb a little here, but I believe if David would have kept silent the giant would have defeated him. We must speak to our mountains or giants. It has to be out loud and on purpose.

Read the exchange before the battle. Would you have spoken to the giant or would you have tried to fight him using your own might? Let this be the major lesson ...you must speak to your current mountain or problem. Speaking, with faith, and then taking action, is God's way of overcoming. I am more confident than ever, David's victory started with the power of his spoken words. 1 Samuel 17:43-47:

So the Philistine said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods. (43) And the Philistine said to David, "Come to me, and I will give your flesh to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field!" (44)

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. (45) This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. (46) Then all this assembly shall know that the lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord's and He will give you into our hands." (47)

Notice, David spoke to everything Goliath said he would do to David. David added that he was going to take off his head. (David did not even have a sword) He gave God the credit for the victory before he won the battle, David then took action. We might talk a good game, but God needs people that will talk it and then back up what they say with action.

I have said many times, "God won't steer a parked car." Meaning, you need to get out and do something. God will direct you as you move. If you are going the wrong way, God will turn you around.

This is by no means a complete teaching on the power of your words but I hope it will give you a starting point of continued study on what the Bible teaches us about the spoken word. I know God spoke this world into existence. I also know I can change my environment by my spoken words.

I have been given a Christian Clothing Company, and like David, I was not looking for a fight when I wandered onto the scene. To be honest, until recently, I did not even know there was a fashion giant. That discussion is a post for another day. Know this; God will get the glory in all we do.

May God bless you with a new understanding of the power of your spoken words.

No comments: