Friday, February 29, 2008

Power in Your Words- Part 3

Ok, now we need to try to tie all this together and see how you and I can use this in our life. James 1:22 tells us to be doers of the word and not hearers only. The word of God comes alive when you learn to apply it to your life.

I will look at two different events in the Gospels and what Jesus taught. I am also going to look at a teaching from Paul as well.

Matthew 8:5-13 is the story of the centurion that came to Jesus for healing for his servant. (Please read the whole account in your Bible) Jesus agrees to help, but let's look at what the centurion answers

...."Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. (8) (Emphasis mine)

Now that is an example of belief in God (faith). The centurion then tells Jesus why he believes Jesus can heal his servant with just a word. (Read authority)

Jesus marvels at this man's faith and then makes a point to teach those around Him

...."Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!" (10)

Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you." And his servant was healed that same hour. (13) (Emphasis mine)

Notice the pattern. The man confessed with his mouth and believed in his heart. Now let's look at Romans 10:9, 10 Paul is writing to the church in Rome:

...that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (9) For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (10) (emphasis mine)

This is the same pattern I taught in the first lesson Power in Your Words- Part 1. As you walk it out through scripture and meditate on this it will come alive.

One last example I will use is the lady with the issue of blood. Let's look in Matthew 9:20-22 (you can also find the same story in Luke 8:43-48) concentrate on what the lady did before she touched the hem of His garment.

And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. (20) For she said to herself, "If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well." (21) But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, "Be of good cheer, daughter, your faith has made you well." And the woman was made well from that hour. (22) (Again, emphasis mine)

Notice what happen, she spoke with her mouth exactly how she was going to be healed. She said, "If only I may touch His garment". She also had to believe in her heart, "I shall be made well." Her healing came because she then took action. Many people were touching Jesus, only one stopped Him.

I have been taught, Jesus is walking by, reach out and touch Him for what you need. I believe this is a true statement only if I do what the lady did before she touched Jesus. She used the power of her own words, mixed with faith in God and then she applied action.

The above examples are on healing but Jesus said ..."I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. "(John 10:10) The grace of God covers every area of your life. My final post will bring this teaching to a close.

Power in Your Words- Part 4

No comments: