Friday, February 22, 2008

Why I Wear Christian Clothing

Have you ever tried to teach a subject you didn't know? I love to teach, but I have found I am most effective teaching something I have actually done or have studied.

Let me give you an example; my daughter asked me to help her with her cheerleading cheers one day. She knew I coached her brother in many different sports, so she wanted me to help her with her sport. I readily agreed, because as general rule, I want to help whenever my children ask.

I failed miserably that day, not because I wanted to, but because I did not have a clue about cheerleading. (We did have a great time as my daughter taught me.) My point is, good intentions are not worth much if you teach your student something entirely wrong.

Christian Clothing is a subject (much like cheerleading) I knew very little about. By divine intervention (an answer to prayer) I find myself in the clothing business. Did I pray for a clothing business you might ask? No, I prayed for an idea to make money. God gave me a Christian Clothing Company.

So instead of taking this idea and mass marketing it to everyone, everywhere, I made a couple of shirts for myself and then some friends (who saw my shirt and wanted one). Here's the whole story.

I still know very little about the clothing industry. I have become a student and my goal is to learn more each day. One thing is certain, this logo works to start a conversation about Jesus. So why write this? As a teaching example, this is how people react to the clothes with the One Drop of Blood logo.

People ask, I share. Usually, it is someone I am in close personal contact with during my day. Some examples are: waiters, golf partners, clients, or people I see at the store. Each encounter is different, but almost all of them start the same, with a question, "What is that on your shirt?" That is why I wear Christian Clothing.

No comments: