Wednesday, March 5, 2008

By His Word and In His Name

To continue the thought of my last entry. How is the church going to defeat the enemies of Jesus? I believe it is only possible by using the word of God and the name of Jesus. Read John 14:12-14

12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. (Emphasis mine)

Jesus Himself tells us we will do greater works than He did because He was going to His Father and sending His Spirit. Now Jesus, by His Spirit, could be everywhere, all at the same time. Now that is power!

I love the book of Acts; it is a picture of the early church learning and using the power of God. Look at Acts 3:1-10 this is where Peter healed the lame beggar. Notice Peter's words and where his power came from for the healing. (I know he was baptized in the Holy Spirit earlier.)

6 Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.

8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him. (Emphasis mine)

Peter healed this man by using the name of Jesus. This is exactly what Jesus said would happen after He went to the Father.

How do we get this kind of power? It will only come when you plant the Word of God in your heart and let it take control of your life. I do not want this teaching to go on and on, but there is a lot here. Read Psalm 138:2:

I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name For Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name. (Emphasis mine)

At the name of Jesus all things are possible and God has elevated His word above His Name. Again I am going to let that sink in, meditate on that and I will continue next post.

No comments: