Thursday, September 27, 2007

Be an Imitator of God

"Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." Luke 18:17

Jesus words seem hard for the "grown up" in me to understand but very easy for the "kid" in me. I believe Jesus is saying, "If I say it, believe it."

Seeing is not the best way to believe. Believing before you see (faith) is the only way to please God. (Hebrews 11:6)

I think a "secret" to accomplishing this is to read the scriptures as a child. (This is easier with little children around) Think like a child or have child-like faith and the life of Jesus seems to open up before you. Don't worry about having to understand it. Your job is to read and believe.

With Jesus as your example, learn to walk as Jesus walked. Jesus watched His Father and did what He saw and heard.

Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner. (John 5:19)

You must first humble yourself, admit you don't have it all figured out and start to follow in Jesus' footsteps, as a little child. Think about this:

If you were to come to a sign that read "mine field" and you had to walk through it, would you rather follow a map or the foot prints of someone who successfully made it through? Jesus has overcome the world, following His trail is the only way. In fact, Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

Starting today, find something in the Gospels Jesus did and imitate it. The scriptures will come alive to you as you begin to walk as Jesus walked.

Most Assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father." (John 14:12)

No comments: